Bills notebook: Buffalo signs another quarterback as injuries mount; team parts ways with wide receiver

1724230472609.png
Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Anthony Brown (13) scrambles against the Minnesota Vikings during the second half of an NFL football game Saturday, Aug. 10, 2024, in Minneapolis.

One day after coach Sean McDermott announced that backup Mitchell Trubisky will miss time with a knee injury, the Buffalo Bills added another free-agent quarterback.

Anthony Brown, a third-year pro and Oregon product who appeared in two games with the Baltimore Ravens in 2022, signed with the Bills on Tuesday, the team announced.

To make room for Brown, the Bills waived/injured wide receiver Lawrence Keys III, a rookie free agent from Tulane. Keys was injured last week.

Brown was with the Las Vegas Raiders before getting waived last week.

“It been a little whirlwind, but it’s cool,” Brown said Tuesday. “Got here yesterday around like 12 in the morning. Worked out, waited a little while, then I signed, then today we had practice.”

The Bills have played two preseason games and lost two back-up quarterbacks. Shane Buechele (neck) was placed on injured reserve after the loss to the Chicago Bears on Aug. 10 and Trubisky was injured during Saturday’s win over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

On Monday, McDermott said starter Josh Allen would not play in Saturday’s preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers, leaving Ben DiNucci – signed last week – as the starter.

Brown has known DiNucci for years. The two are good friends, dating back to his freshman year of college, Brown said. Brown’s been able to ask a lot of questions to his now-teammate.

“It’s one heck of a process, I’ll say that,” Brown said. “Just trying to get to know all the terms and erase previous playbooks.”

Brown, 28, completed 22 of 49 passes for 302 yards, with two interceptions in two games for the Ravens in 2022. He spent the 2023 preseason with the team before being cut.

Injury updates​

The Bills continued to navigate a number of injuries at Tuesday’s practice.

Rookie safety Cole Bishop participated while in a red noncontact jersey. It was the first practice for Bishop since injuring his shoulder during training camp.

“Feeling good,” Bishop said. “Good to be back out there today.”

Safety Damar Hamlin (hamstring), linebacker Baylon Spector (calf) and offensive lineman Travis Clayton (shoulder) worked to the side. Tight end Quintin Morris (shoulder), wide receivers Curtis Samuel (toe) and Marquez Valdes-Scantling (neck), and safety Mike Edwards (hamstring) worked on bikes. Linebacker Nicholas Morrow (groin) started on the bike but worked some on the field.

Quarterback Mitch Trubisky did not participate in practice.

Defensive end Casey Toohill (groin), defensive tackle Austin Johnson (calf) and defensive end Javon Solomon (calf) all participated in practice. Toohill has been injured since Aug. 8. Johnson and Solomon were injured against the Steelers.

Allen on contract​

As quarterback contracts go up and up, Josh Allen was asked Tuesday about the landscape for those deals and what he is paid.

“Listen, everyone’s going to have their day. I’m happy that everyone’s getting what they’re worth,” he said Tuesday. “And I think that as the game progresses and guys keep getting paid, the market is the market.

“And I’ve got no problem with where I’m at right now. ... I had my day a couple years ago. And I’m sure someday I’ll have it again. But I think the main thing is the main thing, and that’s playing football.”

Allen signed a six-year, $258 million contract with the Bills in 2021. With that $43 million annual average value, Allen is 13th among quarterbacks, per contract website Spotrac.

Back