Bills notebook: No major fights but a number of injuries for Buffalo at joint practice

From the "Seen that coming" Department...

The Buffalo Bills were ready to go up against someone else, and on Thursday at Acrisure Stadium, they got exactly that chance.

For about two hours, the Bills and the Pittsburgh Steelers held a joint practice. The teams will play each other in Week 2 of preseason at 7 p.m. Saturday in Pittsburgh.
Bills safety Damar Hamlin valued the chance to get reps Thursday without anything at stake. Hamlin said that at times in a game setting, athletes might play “a little bit more conservative.” The chance to go up against the Steelers in a practice setting presented other opportunities with less risk.

1723805655375.png
Bills defensive back Damar Hamlin (3) stands with a wrap on one of his legs as the team participates in a joint practice with the Steelers on Thursday at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh.
Harry Scull Jr., Buffalo News

“Practice, you could try some stuff out,” Hamlin said. “You can get different looks, try some things out, versus different people than your teammates that you get to go against every day. So, I think joint practices was important.”

Left tackle Dion Dawkins also enjoyed the day.

“It was fun,” Dawkins said. “I didn’t think that I would enjoy it as much as I did, but you know, practicing against Ed (Oliver) and Greg Rousseau every day, that gets like, ‘Sheesh; these war dogs are insane.’

“Playing against these guys – not to say that the level drops, but when you’re doing the same thing over and over and then coming out here and practicing where you’re not in a game, where you don’t have to overly have the anxiety of playing and when you can be free and practice what you really want to practice against different guys, I enjoy it.”

Dawkins valued the practice for himself, but he also recognized how important it was for younger teammates as they adjust to the NFL.

“They understand now that this is a hard league, bro,” Dawkins said. “It is a hard league, and there are good players all over the place. Every age, every year, every size, every whatever. We’re a league full of greatness.”

Injury updates​

While players valued the joint practice, the day wasn’t without hiccups. The Bills are banged up, and a few more players got hurt Thursday during practice.
On top of losing linebacker Matt Milano, the Bills started Thursday’s practice without a number of players: wide receivers Lawrence Keys III and Curtis Samuel, linebacker Baylon Spector, offensive lineman Travis Clayton, defensive end Casey Toohill, linebacker Nicholas Morrow, safeties Cole Bishop and Mike Edwards and tight end Dawson Knox.

Keys, Knox and Spector are all new additions to the list. Knox is dealing with “a groin (injury) and a little bit of ankle as well,” coach Sean McDermott said, “So we’re just being smart at this point.” Keys has a foot injury. Spector has a calf injury, and McDermott said the linebacker will miss “maybe a week.”

During practice, safeties Taylor Rapp and Hamlin each got attention from athletic trainers and did not finish practice. Hamlin said after practice that it was “just something minor,” and coaches were “being smart with it.” Hamlin got his upper left leg wrapped during practice.

Linebacker Dorian Williams got attention from trainers toward the end of practice while sitting on the bench, but he said he was feeling “great” afterward.

Cornerback Kaiir Elam did not finish practice after needing medical attention. After receiving oxygen, he remained on the sideline with the team until the end of practice, albeit without his jersey or helmet on.

Non-fight club​

McDermott made his stance on joint-practice fights quite clear before the day started: The Bills coach is against them. Asked if he discusses fights much with players, McDermott indicated that the conversations were blunt.

“No, just that if they fight, they’re out,” McDermott said ahead of practice. “So, they’re out of this practice if they fight. That’s not how we do things. It is emotional, it is competitive, you know.

“So, we’re hoping that ... one practice is a good, clean practice. They get the work they need, we get the work we need, and we’ve got to keep bigger-picture perspective here in terms of what we’re trying to do this season and what they’re trying to do.”

Still, there were a few close calls. Elam chirped at a group of Steelers during a punt-return drill. Later, Williams got into it with the Pittsburgh offense.
But both teams avoided any major issues.

“Our players understand the consequences if they fight,” McDermott said.

Hamlin homecoming​

Thursday’s practice was especially meaningful for Hamlin, who grew up in McKees Rocks and went to the University of Pittsburgh.

“The locker room that we’re in right now was the locker room that I had when we won championships with Central Catholic (High School),” Hamlin said. “This place is truly like a part of my life, a part of my history, a part of my story and my upbringing. So, it’s memories everywhere.”

Hamlin spent the majority of his offseason in Pittsburgh, and he estimated upwards of 50 family members and friends will be in attendance for Saturday’s game.
Hamlin was the last Bills player on the field after Thursday’s practice.

“It was fun, man,” Hamlin said. “It was a dream come true to have my first joint practice back at home.”

Extra point​

The Bills and wide receiver Chase Claypool have reached an injury settlement, per Thursday’s NFL wire. Claypool now has the ability to sign with a team. Claypool was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday with a toe injury.

Injuries

What else is new ?

Over under on players lost to injury this year? Setting the line at 11 and taking the over.

I seem to remember a time when we were the odd team that just didn't get plagued by injuries. That has changed now. No idea why.

Injuries

What else is new ?

Over under on players lost to injury this year? Setting the line at 11 and taking the over.
Seems fair to me. Injuries have bee an big part of not getting to the Superbowl more than once during the McDopey era

Back