Bills position preview: Lots of long-term decisions loom for Bills at cornerback

HipKat

Administrator
Staff member

This is the 10th in a series looking at the status of each position before the Buffalo Bills report to training camp on July 23. This installment: Defensive backs.

The 2024 NFL season is going to provide clarity on the future of the cornerback position for the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills have a star at slot cornerback in Taron Johnson, who made second-team All-Pro last season. He signed a three-year extension in March that keeps him in the fold through the 2027 season.

Who else is going to be around at cornerback for the long term? It’s uncertain.

Rasul Douglas is the Bills’ No. 1 outside cornerback. He turns 29 on Aug. 29 and is in the last year of his contract.

Christian Benford started 15 games last season. He has two years left on his rookie deal. If he keeps his starting job and plays like he did last season, the Bills probably will want to extend his contract in 2025.

Kaiir Elam has two years left on his rookie deal. The Bills will have to decide after this season if he’s worthy of receiving an expensive fifth-year option offer, which would tie him to the club in 2026.

Big decisions loom, and the sorting out at cornerback begins when training camp practices start Wednesday in Rochester.

Johnson, now the longest tenured defensive back on the roster, says it’s on him to assume more of a leadership role among the cornerbacks and safeties, especially given the departure of safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer.

“Just being more vocal,” Johnson said. “A lot of times, I would let Micah or Po talk, you know, but I’m doing that. And I want to make sure I’m doing that. Because we have a lot of young guys, and they haven’t been in the league that long. So, I think it is my job to do that for them.”

Returnees: Johnson, Douglas, Benford, Elam, Cam Lewis, Ja’Marcus Ingram, Kyron Brown.

Newcomers: Daequan Hardy, Keni-H Lovely, Te’Cory Couch.

Departures: Tre’Davious White (Rams), Dane Jackson (Panthers).

Key numbers: Six and seven. Depth is important at cornerback because players tend to get nicked up, even it it’s only for minor muscle-pull issues. Each of the past two years, six guys started at cornerback and seven saw at least 40 snaps at the position.

1721381537405.png
Te’Cory Couch is an undrafted rookie with slot coverage ability who played last season for new Bills cornerbacks coach Jahmile Addae. Harry Scull Jr./Buffalo News

Top battle​

The competition between Benford and Elam for the starting job opposite Douglas arguably is the No. 1 roster matchup of camp. If both perform well in preseason, it could wind up being a job share to some degree.

“Clean slate for Kaiir,” said defensive coordinator Bobby Babich. “He’s working extremely hard. I think his mindset is where it needs to be.”

What to expect​

Competition realistically will extend into the regular season between Benford and Elam. There’s only a slim chance either one is nailed to the bench.

But there’s also a lot of competition behind them. Cam Lewis is a hybrid cornerback and safety. He’s the top backup to Johnson in the slot. Among those who are likely to see time working in the slot are Te’Cory Couch, Daequan Hardy and Ja’Marcus Ingram. The undrafted Couch played well in the slot last season at Miami for new Bills cornerbacks coach Jahmile Addae. Hardy is a sixth-round draft pick who has ability to play inside or outside. Ingram has spent the past two years on the practice squad.

The expectation is Lewis and Hardy are locks to make the team, giving the Bills six cornerbacks. There’s likely room for four safeties (not counting Lewis), giving the Bills 10 defensive backs on the 53-man roster.

Back