Depew native Joe Andreessen oozes confidence, makes plays in Bills' win over Steelers

Joe Andreessen is used to having his family at games. The Depew native and Lancaster High School graduate spent last season at the University at Buffalo, a homecoming of sorts.

And his family and friends will travel for games, too. Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott could confirm that after Saturday night’s 9-3 preseason win against the Steelers.

1724073988437.png
Bills fans show love for Joe Andreessen after the 9-3 victory over the Steelers 9-3 on Saturday. Harry Scull Jr., Buffalo News

“I think I met his aunt in the elevator in the hotel and she was excited, was on the phone with Joe’s mom, who had just called in at the time, and you just, you love stories like that, right?” McDermott said Saturday. “So, real happy for Joe.”

In the Bills’ exhibition win at Acrisure Stadium, Andreessen played a pivotal role. The rookie undrafted free agent got the starting nod at middle linebacker, and he met the opportunity with strong play, making a game-high 12 tackles.

“When a young guy gets an opportunity and he makes the most of it, it’s just fun to watch, watch a young man like that,” McDermott said. “Especially a local guy.”

While starting middle linebacker Terrel Bernard dressed for the game and served as a captain for the coin toss, the Bills opted not to have him play out of precaution.

Linebacker Matt Milano is out indefinitely with a torn biceps, the team announced Thursday. Linebackers Nicholas Morrow and Baylon Spector also missed Thursday’s practice with injuries, and Edefuan Ulofoshio just returned to practice from an injury this week.

Two days before the game, the coaching staff told Andreessen he’d be starting. His emotions changed over time.

“There’s definitely a sense of nervousness coming over me when they told me,” Andreessen said. “I’m an undrafted guy, and I kind of looked at it as an opportunity, kind of like nothing to lose. A lot of people aren’t really expecting me to make the team.

“You know, I’m a rookie tryout guy, so it was just something to take full advantage of, and hopefully I showed it to people out there.”

Andreessen played into the fourth quarter, and he had big plays throughout his 43 snaps, the second most of any Bills defensive player.

Andreessen played 34% of defensive snaps (19 snaps) in last week’s preseason opener against the Chicago Bears. His time in that game in Orchard Park, along with the Return of the Red and Blue scrimmage at Highmark Stadium on Aug. 2, offered the Depew kid the chance to play in front of his hometown and the team he grew up following. (Quarterback Josh Allen even called him “Buffalo Joe” during a sideline TV interview Saturday.)

Saturday’s game in Pittsburgh was a chance for Andreessen to show the type of play that got him on the Bills’ radar in the first place.

With 1:39 left in the third quarter, the Steelers were trailing by just three points. On fourth-and-2 from the Buffalo 9-yard line, Pittsburgh elected to go for it. Steelers quarterback Justin Fields faked a handoff and ran left. Andreessen pursued, bringing him down in the open field for a loss of 7 yards.

“There was a lot of room. I’m very happy I made the play,” Andreessen said. “I was just in my zone. He broke contain. Like I said, there was a lot of open field, so I was trying to track him near hip. I didn’t want him to cut back on me. And I didn’t press it super-hard, and he probably got a couple more yards out of it, but I just wanted to make a play.”

The Bills got the ball back on their 16 and marched downfield for their third and final field goal of the night.

“I just wanted to win the game, really − especially at the end there, you know. It was definitely a close one,” he said. “And I think that was the most fulfilling part: You know, having a good game and losing never feels good. So, I’m just happy we got the win.”

Still, the highlights, like that tackle for loss on Fields, aren’t playing over and over in Andreessen’s head.

“Oh, I wish I would have made a couple more tackles that I missed,” he said. “Those are the ones you think about. As weird as it sounds, you think about the ones you don’t make.”

Defensive end A.J. Epenesa played into the second quarter, giving him a chance to work with Andreessen in game action. The communication from the middle linebacker was smooth and enunciated, Epenesa said. And Andreessen didn’t stop there.

“While I was in there with him, he was just oozing confidence,” Epenesa said. “I could see him playing well, playing fast. And he’s just taking so many steps and having guys like TB and Dorian (Williams) around him help encourage him as well. So, it was awesome to see him play.”

Williams, who started alongside Andreessen, already knew what the rookie was capable of doing. Last season, Williams went to watch a couple of games at University at Buffalo. There, he saw the same Andreessen who played Saturday night in Pittsburgh.

“Just his heart, man, his heart,” Williams said. “I always told him he’s a very strong guy, very physical. … I knew what Joe got in him, so I was just happy could display it for everyone else this night tonight.”

Attachments

• 1724073916630.png
    1724073916630.png
    73 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1724073916642.png
    1724073916642.png
    73 bytes · Views: 0
Back