DIAZ BEATS MASVIDAL – WHAT’S NEXT FOR BOTH?

HipKat

Administrator
Staff member

Nate Diaz defeated Jorge Masvidal in their July 6 boxing match via a majority decision, leaving question marks over their future.

The contest was a rematch of their UFC 244 fight in 2019, in which Masvidal came out victorious. That fight was stopped at the end of round three as Masvidal became the first BMF Champion. Following his win, Diaz has several options.

Post-Fight​

“It feels good to get the job done, for sure. It’s always been about respect (with Masvidal). He showed up. He came to fight and so did I. I’m gonna beat Jake Paul… and I’m down to fight the highest-ranked boxer I can find. My main objective is to be the best fighter in the world and to go back and get a UFC title. Leon Edwards, Jake Paul, and anyone else. You’re dead,” Diaz

“I thought I won. I definitely thought I landed more meaningful shots. [And] I might have got hit with some volume, but I was never hurt. You can see that,” Masvidal

Diaz’s Options​

Diaz could return to the UFC. His last performance was in 2022 when he beat Tony Ferguson at UFC 279. Since then, he has had two boxing fights. The first was a loss to Jake Paul, followed by the Masvidal fight. A trilogy fight with McGregor has long been talked about. They have a 1-1 record, with McGregor winning their last clash.

At the same time, Diaz could take up a fight in the PFL. Paul offered Diaz $10 million to take an MMA fight in the PFL. PFL Chairman Donn Davis was willing to go further by offering Diaz $15 million. The fight never happened as Diaz chose to box Masvidal. However, it could still be an option, with Paul looking desperately to make his PFL debut. Meanwhile, Diaz called out Paul after the Masvidal win.

Masvidal’s Options​

As for Gamebread, he previously spoke about targeting a fight with Floyd Mayweather and Logan Paul. Mayweather has had several exhibitions since his retirement. He will face John Gotti III in a rematch of their exhibition in August after the first fight ended in a brawl.

A fight with Logan Paul is also possible. Paul has had three boxing fights in his career. He lost to KSI, after which he faced Floyd Mayweather in an exhibition. Paul’s last fight was an eventful win over Dillion Danis. In addition, Chael Sonnen has called out Masvidal. Sonnen made the decision after his draw with Anderson Silva in their exhibition. Masvidal is only open to that fight if it is a pro bout.

An alternative is to return to the UFC. Gamebread lost his last four UFC fights, leaving the sport after his defeat to Gilbert Burns at UFC 287. Masvidal did speak previously about warning to face Justin Gaethje when he held the BMF belt. But following his loss to Max Holloway, could Blessed be the new target?

Conor McGregor has also been mentioned as a name. Gamebread has accused McGregor of avoiding him. That fight is unlikely to happen following McGregor’s recent toe injury. This is particularly true since Michael Chandler is the target. Given that Masvidal and Diaz are at the latter stage of their careers, they must make the correct next move.

Back