Ex-Buffalo Sabres captain Kyle Okposo's thank-you letter to city, franchise

HipKat

Administrator
Staff member

Editor's note: As you probably know, Kyle Okposo spent eight years with the Buffalo Sabres before he was traded to the Florida Panthers in March. He won the Stanley Cup with Florida, helping the team defeat Edmonton in seven games to lift the trophy for the first time in his 17-year NHL career. After some time off, however, the former captain wanted to thank the city of Buffalo and Sabres fans for their eight years of support. Here is his open letter:

Dear Buffalo,
What a journey we had together. After the trade in March, I took some time to reflect on the years I spent in the Sabres organization. On my first plane ride to Florida, everything hit me, and it was important that I captured what I was feeling. I wrote a few things then and recently came back to this note now that I am back in Buffalo after the season ended.

This city and team meant so much to me over the years, and it’s important to me that I share some thoughts directly to you, Sabres fans.

All I wanted to do is win for you. It didn’t happen, obviously. I am sorry, and I take that personally. I can tell you I gave absolutely everything I had to the organization and the city. In return, the city took in my family and I with open arms.

1721472902729.png
Former Sabres captain Kyle Okposo. Joshua Bessex, News file photo

I never thought I could truly integrate myself and my family into another place. I was wrong about that. You all care so much about the Sabres and Bills. It’s amazing to be a part of something that people are so passionate about. It made losing more difficult, but that’s OK. When the group who is here turns it around, it’s going to make the feeling of success run so much deeper.

I can’t promise you anything other than the fact I did my best to teach the men in that locker room. To care, to hurt, to love, to grind, to work. You are in good hands with the young core, and they will deliver.

1721472865076.png
Buffalo Sabres captain Kyle Okposo is honored for playing in his 1,000th career game during a pregame ceremony. Buffalo News file photo

To the Sabres organization: Thank you for entrusting me to lead the group. I understand I was not the flashy pick to wear the C. You did what you believed was right, and that’s all I try to do every day. It was an honor and a privilege to put that uniform on for eight seasons.

A special thank you to the Pegula family for treating me like one of your own. Your generosity and commitment to the team is second to none.
Bye for now. Thanks for everything.

Kyle

Back