How Bills’ Joe Andreessen, a May tryout player, flipped script to enter roster battle

1723993495365.png
Greg Rousseau #50 of the Buffalo Bills celebrates with Joe Andreessen #44 after a defensive stop in the first quarter during the preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers
at Acrisure Stadium on August 17, 2024 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin Berl/Getty Images)Getty Images

One week ago, a nervous and anxious Joe Andreessen had to ask veteran linebacker Nicholas Morrow where to stand and what to do during the national anthem for his first NFL game.

On Saturday night, Andreessen was in the starting lineup against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Acrisure Stadium.

No pressure, right?

Buffalo Bills middle linebacker Terrel Bernard got the night off just two days after the team learned that All-Pro linebacker Matt Milano will miss an extended period with a torn biceps muscle. Later that day, Bills coach Sean McDermott told Andreessen he was getting the most significant opportunity of his young NFL career.

“It was kind of nice,” Andreessen said. “They didn’t surprise me with it or anything like that. ... I’m an undrafted guy, and I kind of looked at it as an opportunity, like nothing to lose.”

Andreessen, a University at Buffalo product who went undrafted in April, made the Bills in May after impressing during a rookie minicamp tryout.

Three months later, he was responsible for calling and leading the Bills defense against former Super Bowl-winning quarterback Russell Wilson. Twelve tackles later - with an entire fan base buzzing about Andreessen - the 24-year-old has firmly placed himself in contention to make the team for real when general manager Brandon Beane selects the final 53 players.

“A lot of people aren’t really expecting me to make the team,” he said. “You know, I’m a rookie tryout guy, so it was just something to take full advantage of, and hopefully I showed it to people out there today.”

Andreessen and the first-team defense gave the Steelers offense, led by Wilson, fits in the first quarter. The Bills forced four straight punts to start the game and sacked Wilson three times - two of which came on third down to force a punt.

Bills defensive end Greg Rousseau finished with 2.5 sacks and made life difficult on Steelers right tackle Broderick Jones. After the game, Rousseau said Andreessen didn’t flinch with everybody watching him.

“He’s that guy,” Rousseau said. “You couldn’t sense any fear with Joe. He stepped up to the plate, called it with the ones, and it was great seeing him flying around here and making open-field tackles. He was doing his thing.”

One of those open-field tackles came in the second half on a fourth-and-2 scramble from dangerous dual-threat quarterback Justin Fields. The Steelers were driving in Buffalo’s territory, and Fields - who finished with 42 yards on the ground - saw an angle and looked to run for the first down.

Andreessen reacted fast and turned a potential drive-extending run into a seven-yard loss, giving the Bills offense the ball back.

“I was telling the guys on the sideline I was super nervous,” Andreessen said. “That’s a very athletic guy out there and there was a lot of room. ... I was just in my zone and he broke contain. I was trying to track the near hip and I didn’t want him to cut back on me and I didn’t press it super hard.”

Milano’s injury changes the complexion of the linebackers’ room. Veteran Deion Jones and third-year linebacker Baylon Spector are in the mix for the depth spots behind Bernard and Williams. But Andreessen is now a serious threat to both after producing so well against NFL starters.

McDermott was impressed.

“When a young guy gets an opportunity and he makes the most of it, it’s just fun to watch, watch a young man like that, especially a local guy,” McDermott said. “I think I met his aunt in the elevator in the hotel and she was excited, was on the phone with Joe’s mom, who had just called in at the time, and you just, you love stories like that, right? So, real happy for Joe.”

Andreessen grew up in Western New York and was a Lancaster High School standout before attending UB. The Bills play their last preseason game against the Carolina Panthers. Andreessen has another chance to leave a lasting impression on coaches and Bills fans.

Back