Jonathan Rousseau, younger brother of Bills DE Greg Rousseau, commits to UB football

HipKat

Administrator
Staff member

1719479875068.png
UB head coach Pete Lembo, rear, secured a commitment from Jonathan Rousseau, the younger brother of Bills defensive end Greg Rousseau. Joshua Bessex, Buffalo News

Another Rousseau will play football in Western New York.

Jonathan Rousseau, a safety from Cardinal Gibbons High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, announced Monday on his social media platforms that he has committed to join the University at Buffalo’s incoming 2025 recruiting class.

Rousseau is the younger brother of Bills edge rusher Greg Rousseau, who played college football at the University of Miami (Fla.) and was a first-round pick of the Bills in 2021. He is entering his fourth season in the NFL.

“I just felt like it was the right place for me,” Jonathan Rousseau told The Buffalo News on Monday. “It felt like the right spot, and it’s a great place, a great city.”

Rousseau is a 6-foot-1, 180-pound defensive back/safety who will be a senior this fall at Cardinal Gibbons, and had 40 tackles in 13 games in 2023, according to MaxPreps.com. He describes himself as a football player who is physical and can play instinctively.

“I have a feel for football and for how the game happens,” he said. “I don’t need to think too much about it.”

Pittsburgh, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Alabama State and Ohio also extended offers to Rousseau, who is one of three defensive backs and one of two safeties who have committed to join the Bulls’ 2025 class. Rousseau also could be joining a deep position group. Of the 10 safeties on UB’s 2024 roster, only Marcus Fuqua is entering his final year of eligibility.

The early signing period for incoming freshmen is scheduled for Dec. 4-6. Rousseau received an offer from the program in May and is the sixth player to commit to UB’s incoming 2025 class, along with:
  • Michael Gelatko, tight end from Marian Catholic in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania.
  • Jason Wright, quarterback from L.C. Bird in Chesterfield, Virginia.
  • Jackson Small, cornerback from Rock Creek Christian Academy in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.
  • Xair Stevenson, safety from University Prep in Pittsburgh.
  • Jackson Davenport, offensive lineman from Darien, Connecticut.
Rousseau checked out UB during its official visit weekend June 14-16. Rousseau’s older brother went through the recruiting process and gave him some insight.

“He told me to go where I was wanted and to go where I’m going to play, and to go where it fits best for me,” Jonathan Rousseau said. “Buffalo is what fits best for me.”

Having a sibling in town didn’t hurt Rousseau’s decision to join the Bulls, either.
“It played a part but it wasn’t the main reason,” he said. “I’ve got to do what’s best for me, but this is cool. It matches up that he’s here.”

Back