Old Pink fire was due to arson, investigators find; person of interest identified

THIS pisses me off!

Buffalo Fire investigators have determined a blaze June 17 that destroyed the Old Pink bar on Allen Street was arson, and they have identified a person of interest.

City spokesman Michael DeGeorge said Thursday that video evidence and witness interviews assisted fire investigators in finding that the fire was intentionally set.

The investigation is ongoing, DeGeorge said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has been assisting Buffalo Fire investigators, he said.

Buffalo Fire Commissioner William Renaldo told reporters at a news conference Thursday that authorities have not taken anyone into custody.

A two-alarm fire at the iconic dive bar – beloved for its eclectic music scene, steak sandwiches and overall quirky atmosphere – led to an emergency demolition order.

A witness who lives near the building told The News she was awake around 5:45 a.m. when she heard someone and looked out her window to see a trash can propped against the building on fire.

"The loss of the Old Pink in Allentown is deeply felt," Buffalo Common Council Member Mitch Nowakowski – who represents the Fillmore District, where the bar was located – said Thursday evening on X (formerly known as Twitter.) "The fire, ruled as arson, posed a significant threat to public safety and took away an iconic piece of the community.

"I hope an arrest is made soon to bring justice for the owners and the community."

The loss of the Old Pink in Allentown is deeply felt. The fire, ruled as arson, posed a significant threat to public safety and took away an iconic piece of the community.

I hope an arrest is made soon to bring justice for the owners and the community.

My full statement below: pic.twitter.com/vYUe6J3i9M
— Mitch Nowakowski (@mitch4fillmore) August 1, 2024

The building at 223 Allen St. was owned by the Brinkworth family since 1968.

Although nicknamed the Old Pink, the building was painted purple on the outside and was never pink. Its official name was Allen Street Bar & Grill.

In 1983, Mark Supples rented from the Brinkworths to open a bar called the Pink Flamingo. The distinction between old and new Pink came eight years later, when the Pink Flamingo moved to 1683 Main St., The News reported. The “Old Pink” stayed open at 223 Allen St.

Patrons flocked to the site following the fire to get a final look before demolition, and a piece of the old building when it can crumbling down

Back