
Brandon Beane says negotiations between Bills, James Cook have been tabled for now
“Depending on how many players we draft, who we see having the best chance to unseat players and what that looks like at the 53 cut – we got a plan for that as well,” Beane said. “But again, just because we don't have James signed today doesn't mean next year we still can't get him done before...
And then there was one.
General manager Brandon Beane has been busy this offseason, hammering out contract extensions after contract extension for players he believes are part of the Buffalo Bills’ core.
With one notable exception, that is.
Beane has done deals this offseason with defensive end Greg Rousseau, linebacker Terrel Bernard, wide receiver Khalil Shakir and cornerback Christian Benford, as well as quarterback Josh Allen. With the exception of Allen, all those players came into the offseason with contracts that were set to expire after the 2025 season.

Running back James Cook was the Bills' best offensive player in the team's AFC championship game loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Harry Scull Jr., Buffalo News
That leaves running back James Cook, who is on a deal that expires after the upcoming season and hasn’t been shy about expressing his desire for a new one.
“Love ‘Jimbo,’ proud of his success,” Beane said Sunday at NFL’s annual meeting at The Breakers resort. “Just like these other guys that we got extended.”
Beane generally is loath to discuss contract details in public, but he did confirm that the two sides have had recent discussions.
“I'm not sharing anything new. It didn't lead to anything, as far as closing in on a deal,” he said. “So we moved on to the guys that we were more on the same page with.”
Benford was the latest to agree to an extension last week, a four-year deal worth up to $76 million.
“At this point, we're on to the draft once we got Benford done,” he said. “I don't see us doing any deals anytime soon. We're going to focus on the draft and getting our (salary) cap in order.”
The Bills are under the cap at the moment, but at this point in the offseason, only the top 51 contracts on a team’s roster count against the cap. When it comes time to set the 53-man roster, all those deals, plus any players on injured reserve and those on the practice squad, count against the cap, so the Bills must create more space – especially because they hold 10 draft picks.
“Depending on how many players we draft, who we see having the best chance to unseat players and what that looks like at the 53 cut – we've got a plan for that as well,” Beane said. “But again, just because we don't have James signed today doesn't mean next year we still can't get him done before he gets to free agency.”
The Bills also have the ability to use the franchise tag next offseason if they determine Cook is worthy of that designation. That leaves the team with the upper hand in negotiations.
Still, the Bills are cognizant of Cook’s contract request. He is clearly an impact player for the Bills, coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons. Anytime an impact player wants a new deal, that creates the potential for a sensitive situation, which is especially true when that desire has gone public.
“I hope every player feels wanted,” Bills coach Sean McDermott said. “You never assume that, especially when what you're describing (going public) from time to time goes on. I'm not involved in the nuts and bolts and the details of all that, but it's my job to help them: ‘Hey, look, push through. It's going to take care of itself.’
“That's the best you can do. These are humans living real lives. I know one side wants to be rewarded for what they've done (and) the other side is the business of it, right? Hopefully at some point that can all meet in the middle and everybody goes on and everybody is happy. That's what you hope and pray for.”
Cook, 25, is coming off a career year in his third NFL season. He tied the Bills’ single-season franchise record with 16 rushing touchdowns, matching O.J. Simpson’s total from 1975, and made his second straight Pro Bowl. He had two games with at least one rushing and one receiving touchdown, joining the Eagles’ Saquon Barkley as the only players in the NFL to do so in 2024.
Cook’s strong play continued into the postseason. He was the team’s best offensive player in the AFC championship game loss to the Chiefs, finishing with 85 rushing yards, 49 receiving yards and two touchdowns.
“James is a good player,” McDermott said. “It's been fun watching him grow on and off the field, and so that will take care of itself, but right now when he comes back (for offseason workouts), I'm just excited to see him and work with him and help him get better.”