House may nullify millions of votes to get back at states that disqualified Trump: GOP congressman

HipKat

Administrator
Staff member
Note: AlterNet is an extreme Far-Left leaning media source

On Friday, Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Kentucky) issued a veiled threat to states considering the disqualification of former President Donald Trump from the Republican primary ballot.

"Maine, Colorado, and other states that might try to bureaucratically deny ballot access to any Republican nominee should remember the US House of Representatives is the ultimate arbiter of whether to certify electors from those states," Massie wrote on X (formerly Twitter).

Massie's threat seems to suggest that any state that excludes Trump from its respective ballot could face severe consequences, including having their state's chosen Electoral College representatives potentially excluded from the final electoral vote count. Hypothetically, this could mean that if the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) upholds the Colorado supreme court's disqualification of the former president, the Centennial State's 10 Electoral College members may not be certified by the full House of Representatives — effectively denying the votes of millions of Coloradans from being included in the final result.

The Kentucky Republican's tweet comes in the wake of Trump potentially facing ballot disqualification in at least two states, pending judicial review. In Colorado, the state's supreme court ruled 4-3 in the Anderson v. Griswold case that Trump was not qualified to appear on the ballot due to being in violation of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution.

Colorado's Republican Party appealed that ruling, and a stay has been placed on the ruling preventing it from going into effect until January 4, pending review by SCOTUS. For now, Trump will remain on the Colorado ballot.

Maine Secretary of State Shenna Bellows likewise issued a ruling on Thursday night that stated Trump was "not qualified to hold the office of president" due to his role in the January 6, 2021 insurrection. Bellows noted the Maine legislature delegated the responsibility of determining candidates' eligibility to her office, rather than have it be litigated in court.

Additionally, Trump's ballot eligibility is being challenged in North Carolina. Republican lawyer Brian Martin filed an appeal to state elections officials arguing that including Trump on the ballot would be "constitutionally unacceptable" given that he could ultimately be disqualified, thus depriving millions of North Carolinians from having their votes be properly counted. And a voter in Louisiana has filed a lawsuit seeking to disqualify Trump in the Bayou State under the insurrection clause.

Once again, the democrats who love talking about our precious democracy are proving that they would rather emulate communist China instead of promoting our Republic. Trump asked for a peaceful march that day and was convicted of NOTHING. It's not shocking that a bunch of democrats don't think Trump should be President however it IS shocking that they would be brazen enough to attempt to play judge and jury and decide for the American people who will be on the ballot for the opposing party. This is banana republic stuff.

1. Hip, thanks for the disclaimer but no need for it. Seriously, let people draw their own conclusions about an article's veracity.

2. Yeah, I could see those shit weasels trying this. You know, Trump would start a civil war if it advanced his bloated ego enough. The best thing he could have done, and the right thing for him to do, would have been to concede. Gore did, and I think Gore had just as compelling a case as him. Hell, even Hillary did.

3. When I say civil war could be coming I mean it. This country is so goddamned divided its not even funny. It started with right wing talk rageo in the 90s. Then came the internet. You see, before the internet stupidity and rage were diseases that spread a lot more slowly. The internet, especially social media, made these go "viral." In 2000 things got a lot more testy as Bush v Gore divided the land. Then came the teabaggers and Birthergate. Look you fucktards, Obama and McCain were both as American as you and I.

Then came 2016. After letting the GOP stir up the anger and division for 25 years, Hillary walked in and made it cool to say if you disagree with me you're a Russian agent, a racist, and a misogynist. Meanwhile, Trump fired back with 25 years of those GOP talking points.

Then there was 2020. Much like the covid rash and dry skin, just when you think its finally finally gone you get a new round of hives and dry skin. In the same way, Trump could not just bow out. No no, he decided to not fight this thing in the courts, he decided to fight it like a drunken brawler. So of course Trump leaning politicians will do his bidding.

4. The good news is much like Maggie Taylor Green, this idiot is a loudmouth from a deep blood red district and doesn't really have too much influence.

Once again, the democrats who love talking about our precious democracy are proving that they would rather emulate communist China instead of promoting our Republic. Trump asked for a peaceful march that day and was convicted of NOTHING. It's not shocking that a bunch of democrats don't think Trump should be President however it IS shocking that they would be brazen enough to attempt to play judge and jury and decide for the American people who will be on the ballot for the opposing party. This is banana republic stuff.
You don't think arbitrarily nullifying votes for Trump's opponent might just be a LITTLE corrupt and unconstitutional?

1. Hip, thanks for the disclaimer but no need for it. Seriously, let people draw their own conclusions about an article's veracity.
Yeah, true but I want to stave off the attacks on the source as much as possible while showing that it's not just Right-leaning sources that are biased

2. Yeah, I could see those shit weasels trying this. You know, Trump would start a civil war if it advanced his bloated ego enough. The best thing he could have done, and the right thing for him to do, would have been to concede. Gore did, and I think Gore had just as compelling a case as him. Hell, even Hillary did.

3. When I say civil war could be coming I mean it. This country is so goddamned divided its not even funny. It started with right wing talk rageo in the 90s. Then came the internet. You see, before the internet stupidity and rage were diseases that spread a lot more slowly. The internet, especially social media, made these go "viral." In 2000 things got a lot more testy as Bush v Gore divided the land. Then came the teabaggers and Birthergate. Look you fucktards, Obama and McCain were both as American as you and I.

Then came 2016. After letting the GOP stir up the anger and division for 25 years, Hillary walked in and made it cool to say if you disagree with me you're a Russian agent, a racist, and a misogynist. Meanwhile, Trump fired back with 25 years of those GOP talking points.

Then there was 2020. Much like the covid rash and dry skin, just when you think its finally finally gone you get a new round of hives and dry skin. In the same way, Trump could not just bow out. No no, he decided to not fight this thing in the courts, he decided to fight it like a drunken brawler. So of course Trump leaning politicians will do his bidding.

4. The good news is much like Maggie Taylor Green, this idiot is a loudmouth from a deep blood red district and doesn't really have too much influence.
Civil war is here. The really violent battles just haven't begun yet

This is an exciting new way to choose who represents us! We can duke it out at state capitol buildings.

Back