Von Miller says deactivating him against Patriots was 'right decision'

HipKat

Administrator
Staff member

Days after he was a healthy scratch for the first time in his 13 NFL seasons, Buffalo Bills defensive end Von Miller said he is unsure if he will be active for Sunday night’s game at the Miami Dolphins.

But Miller didn’t push back on coach Sean McDermott’s call to sit him down after he failed to post a sack in the 11 games since he returned from his ACL rehabilitation.

“I’m my biggest critic and just from my standpoint, I wasn’t playing up to the standard,” Miller told The Buffalo News after practice Thursday. “The recovery wasn’t coming along and that was the right decision to sit me down and rest me up.”
Miller has been given one day off from practice for five consecutive weeks.

Is he healthy enough to play?

“I’ve been healthy enough every week,” Miller said. “Am I healthy enough to play at the (accepted) standard? That’s for (McDermott) and all those guys (to decide). I’m in agreement with those guys. He made the decision. We’re on the same page. I just have to keep practicing and do what’s best for the team.”

Asked if it was weird to watch the Bills’ win over New England from the sidelines, Miller said: “No, not really. All I want to do is win. This is my 13th year in the league and that’s the only thing that matters.”

The Bills signed Miller in March 2022 for games like Week 18 and the AFC East title – and perhaps a wild-card berth – at stake.

“My type of game,” he said.

Dawkins, Cook honored​

Bills left tackle Dion Dawkins and running back James Cook were voted as AFC Pro Bowl Games starters on Wednesday night.
Dawkins made it for the third time, but his first as a starter.

“I know last year, when I was an alternate, I kind of hurt,” he said. “Not to take anything away from that, but I try to hold myself to a different standard and this is the first time I’m a starter so it’s a beautiful thing. It just means I’m trying my process.”

Is Dawkins having his best season?

“This has definitely been my best season and (there is) still a lot more to come,” he said.
Cook ranks third in the NFL with 1,086 rushing yards.

“It’s a huge accomplishment; something I’ve been looking forward to doing so it’s only going to get better from here,” he said.

Quarterback Josh Allen and receiver Stefon Diggs were named first alternates, followed by defensive end Leonard Floyd and center Mitch Morse (second alternates), tight end Dalton Kincaid and defensive tackle Ed Oliver (third alternates) and tight end Dawson Knox (fifth alternate).

Milano details injury​

Bills linebacker Matt Milano made his first comments Thursday since being injured in the Oct. 8 loss to Jacksonville in London.

Milano revealed he sustained a fractured right tibia (the bone that runs down the front of the leg) just below the knee, but there was no damage to any knee ligaments.

Milano said he could not put any weight on the leg for about eight weeks and he continues to rehabilitate at the Bills’ facility. He expects to have a normal offseason of training.

Injury report​

Miller and Floyd returned to full participation for Thursday’s fieldhouse practice after getting Wednesday off. Floyd is also managing a rib injury.

Safety Damar Hamlin (shoulder) was limited and wore a no-contact jersey. Full were Allen (neck/right finger) and safety Micah Hyde (neck).

The Dolphins listed 19 players on their injury report. Not practicing were linebacker Bradley Chubb (knee), cornerback Xavien Howard (foot), running back Raheem Mostert (knee/ankle) and receivers Jaylen Waddle (ankle) and Tyreek Hill (ankle/personal).

Chubb and Howard won’t play Sunday.

Back