Did the government threaten Dodge or did they promise them something?

You know one day, really if you think about it, wasn't all that long ago people were saying that the automobile would never supplant the horse as the primary mode of transportation. It was a cute novelty plagued with problems...

"1903 Year in which a president of a Michigan savings bank advised Horace Rackham, Henry Ford's lawyer, not to invest in his client's company, telling him, "The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty -- a fad."

$5,000 Amount of Ford Motor Co. stock Rackham purchased anyway.

$12.5 — million: Amount for which Rackham sold this stock several years later."

Technology and infrastructure development will rise to the challenge of ALL obstacles. Y'all don't give the industry and human ingenuity enough credit. Any manufacturer not fully in on an e-future will be left in the dust in the manner of Kodak after it's failure, sticking to it's guns thinking that digital imaging would never replace film.
You may not like the shift and believe me, as an old car lover (I have a classic myself), I'm going to need an adjustment period. In terms of performance E-vehicles off the shelf absolutely smoke even heavily modified combustion engine powered cars.
Maintenance? E-vehicles need practically none besides the occasional wear and tear parts replacement.
That aspect I welcome whole-heartedly.

Also consider that possibly the largest deposit of lithium on the planet was relatively recently been discovered in Nevada.

EV's will not be forced if no one is buying them and car sale plummet
That ain't happening. Anecdotally, My bro in law who currently drives a 2023 F-150 Lightning is around the 80,000 mark out of the 2 million cybertruck reservations. He's planning on getting it before 2024 is done.
Statistically (in the US):
1704301165537.png

You know one day, really if you think about it, wasn't all that long ago people were saying that the automobile would never supplant the horse as the primary mode of transportation. It was a cute novelty plagued with problems...

"1903 Year in which a president of a Michigan savings bank advised Horace Rackham, Henry Ford's lawyer, not to invest in his client's company, telling him, "The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty -- a fad."

Technology and infrastructure development will rise to the challenge of ALL obstacles. Y'all don't give the industry and human ingenuity enough credit. Any manufacturer not fully in on an e-future will be left in the dust in the manner of Kodak after it's failure, sticking to it's guns thinking that digital imaging would never replace film.
You may not like the shift and believe me, as an old car lover (I have a classic myself), I'm going to need an adjustment period. In terms of performance E-vehicles off the shelf absolutely smoke even heavily modified combustion engine powered cars.
Maintenance? E-vehicles need practically none besides the occasional wear and tear parts replacement.

Also consider that possibly the largest deposit of lithium on the planet was relatively recently been discovered in Nevada.
My main problem with electric vehicles is range, maximum range is 150 to 300 miles and then you have to charge for 4 to 8 hours. Now, if this country would not fight expanded passenger rail service and the infrastructure, electric engines, and rolling stock needed for it to work, 200 to 300 miles would work for say Kansas City to St. Louis, but if I want to go to Denver, Chicago, Dallas well I am sol and to get to St Louis I had better hope I don't run into traffic. Now that's just for my personal vehicle. We are a nation that -because the oil and auto bigwigs dismantled rail - relies heavily on trucks. That's fine but trucks require a hell of a lot more power than cars and these mean a lot less range or even heavier batteries which diminish payload.

Evs are not a step forward,they are a step back. Gas powered vehicles can travel twice to three times as far before stopping to refuel. Refueling a gas vehicle is a 5-minute task, "refueling" an EV takes several hours. The motor vehicle was a huge advancement over the horse. EVs are NOT an advancement over the motor vehicle.

That ain't happening. Anecdotally, My bro in law who currently drives a 2023 F-150 Lightning is around the 80,000 mark out of the 2 million cybertruck reservations. He's planning on getting it before 2024 is done.
Statistically (in the US):
View attachment 86
Your brother in law is a very foolish consumer, he couldn't possibly have done research, and he certainly has no plans to travel with that vehicle. Did he check into the resale value of a vehicle with an old battery?

He drives this piss out of the F150. He’s a power paraglider and tows it to and from his farm pretty much every weekend. Also tows the 4 wheelers to the trails. He’s going to tow my car to a shop in southern Virginia hopefully in the spring. I anticipate we’ll need to stop for a charge once on the trip.He easily puts 200 miles on it in a day on weekends. He has a quick charger installed on the garage and tops it off every night. Had it over a year. Never once in the shop. Never once needed gas or an oil change.

My main problem with electric vehicles is range, maximum range is 150 to 300 miles and then you have to charge for 4 to 8 hours. Now, if this country would not fight expanded passenger rail service and the infrastructure, electric engines, and rolling stock needed for it to work, 200 to 300 miles would work for say Kansas City to St. Louis, but if I want to go to Denver, Chicago, Dallas well I am sol and to get to St Louis I had better hope I don't run into traffic. Now that's just for my personal vehicle. We are a nation that -because the oil and auto bigwigs dismantled rail - relies heavily on trucks. That's fine but trucks require a hell of a lot more power than cars and these mean a lot less range or even heavier batteries which diminish payload.
I said it before and I’ll say it again. These are early glitches. Tech and infrastructure will rise to meet all challenges.

Evs are not a step forward,they are a step back. Gas powered vehicles can travel twice to three times as far before stopping to refuel. Refueling a gas vehicle is a 5-minute task, "refueling" an EV takes several hours. The motor vehicle was a huge advancement over the horse. EVs are NOT an advancement over the motor vehicle.
But they really are.

It's like everything else. It's just that EV's are coming out the gate at a higher price tag and have, for some reason, become poiticized
1. Part of it is its a new old technology. Pkschul, unlike some when I say a technology has current and historical limitations that does not mean I don't like a technology. I have the ryobi family of electric garden tools. Love them. The lithium batteries are interchangeable and can cut my yard, wack my weeds, and cut brush with ease. However, if I bought a property that was two or three times larger the Ryobi would not be up to the task. I don't hate electric powered tools or vehicles, but I know they have limits. I know with further r&d that these limits can be fixed to some degree.

2. Part of its the oil lobby

3. Part of its, the GOP which fundamentally fears all change especially if its green. They think windmills west of Salina, KS mean the Commies are about to declare martial law.

4. Its because to a large segment of the car owning populace it has got to sound like a car. They want to hear that Dodge Charger roar. EVs are whisper quiet.

1. Part of it is its a new old technology. Pkschul, unlike some when I say a technology has current and historical limitations that does not mean I don't like a technology. I have the ryobi family of electric garden tools. Love them. The lithium batteries are interchangeable and can cut my yard, wack my weeds, and cut brush with ease. However, if I bought a property that was two or three times larger the Ryobi would not be up to the task. I don't hate electric powered tools or vehicles, but I know they have limits. I know with further r&d that these limits can be fixed to some degree.

2. Part of its the oil lobby

3. Part of its, the GOP which fundamentally fears all change especially if its green. They think windmills west of Salina, KS mean the Commies are about to declare martial law.

4. Its because to a large segment of the car owning populace it has got to sound like a car. They want to hear that Dodge Charger roar. EVs are whisper quiet.
Believe me I get it.
I guess my main point is that EV criticism is very short-sighted.
We are still just in the baby phases of the potential of electric vehicles. From what I understand the Dodge performance cars have a simulated exhaust tone. Kinda silly, but it serves the purpose for some.
I get that for cross country trips electric vehicles have a long way to go, but for daily commuting (90+% of driving for most) EV is a no brainer. My neighbor drives his Chevy Bolt from Virginia to Canada every year. He enjoys that challenge. His wife flies, she can't take the stops lol.
I envision a future infrastructure and standard that will allow for hot swapping of battery packs or ultrafast charging of some sort.
This is a relatively new industry that the US is primed to become the world leader in. Let's not be left in the dust.
Patents in battery technology:
1704384679959.png

Look how far we've come already:

This all said I still don't own an electric vehicle myself. I'm biding my time until the time is right. For me, we're not quite there yet but once we are I'm all in. I'm never getting rid of my Grand National regardless. Gasoline is still going to be around for a long, long time.

Last edited:
When it’s all said and done, all we are doing is replacing oil dependency for rare earth mineral dependency.*

so, we are going to be on a tether until mileage improves.

faster charging will be a must.

* and saving the earth🤣🤣

mines charging now!

1704404271218.png

When it’s all said and done, all we are doing is replacing oil dependency for rare earth mineral dependency.*

so, we are going to be on a tether until mileage improves.

faster charging will be a must.

* and saving the earth🤣🤣

mines charging now!

View attachment 99
And don't forget the toxic (heavy metals tend to cause lots of fun cancers and other diseases and are as environmentally unfriendly as they come) and exploitative (children harvest the minerals for cellphone batteries).

He drives this piss out of the F150. He’s a power paraglider and tows it to and from his farm pretty much every weekend. Also tows the 4 wheelers to the trails. He’s going to tow my car to a shop in southern Virginia hopefully in the spring. I anticipate we’ll need to stop for a charge once on the trip.He easily puts 200 miles on it in a day on weekends. He has a quick charger installed on the garage and tops it off every night. Had it over a year. Never once in the shop. Never once needed gas or an oil change.
LOL, he goes 200 miles. When my business was in operation, I would tow oil derricks and tons of heavy equipment close to 600 too 700 miles in a day with a Dodge diesel truck. That F150 is a toy and would never make it in the real world of work trucks. If he resides in a cold weather state then the performance would even be more pathetic.

Again, don't attempt to suggest that EVs are useful in real world applications for working people or travelers.

Back