Official 2024 Gardening Thread

Garden is looking good Spiked!!

Thanks Daryls.

For the past 2 days we have had huge downpour and incredibly hot weather.

I will prune the the tomato plants and deadhead the roses over the next two mornings and will post another round of photos on Friday morning.

The difference between last week and this week will amaze you.

As sometimes happens when you have a creek (or crick, if you’re from around here), snapping turtles will on occasion decide to cross the road, and when we see it, we try to make sure they get across safely.
View attachment 1125
But, this one decides to lay eggs on an area of the lawn we have slated to be repaired. I checked, and she’s still laying eggs. Never had this happen before, on my lawn. She abandons them, and they are in the ground for a while. Not sure if I should protect them or what.

If I don’t, they probably will be dug up and eaten by the night critters…
Well, we had the lawn repaired, and had to dig out the eggs she laid and “transplant” them. They need to be laid in the same orientation that they were laid, so we marked them.
Incubation is 2-3 months, depending on temps. Temperature also affects what sex they become.

When any signs of activity start I’ll see if I can do a time lapse of them hatching. They usually do it at night though…
IMG_2717.jpegIMG_2717.jpeg

I see solar panels on those blocks, do they light up at night?
The stepping stones are pretty old now and we once had 3 times as much.

They lit up when you stepped on the them and yes they are solar.

Got them from Walmart.

Over the years they broke and we threw them away.

Well, we had the lawn repaired, and had to dig out the eggs she laid and “transplant” them. They need to be laid in the same orientation that they were laid, so we marked them.
Incubation is 2-3 months, depending on temps. Temperature also affects what sex they become.

When any signs of activity start I’ll see if I can do a time lapse of them hatching. They usually do it at night though…
View attachment 1296View attachment 1297
Very kool!!!

Back